An oil fired combi boiler system is a key alternative for the estimated 4 million houses in the UK that are not connected to the gas network. Oil fired combi boilers are suitable for those who live outside the city being cut off from gas and electricity supplies. As an alternative to gas heating, oil combi boilers allow you to keep fuel stored near your property and top-up the unit according to the need. Modern oil fired combi boilers can be very energy efficient (up to 95%) and there are many ‘A’ rated models on the market.
If you're considering the installation of a boiler, GreenMatch provides you with a free of charge and with no obligation service that allows you to request quotes and compare boilers systems, so that you can find the most suitable for you. Just fill in the form on the right to request offers.
How Does an Oil Fired Combi Boiler Work?
An oil combination boiler system works in a similar way to its gas-powered alternative, using an oil-fired boiler to heat water, which supplies the central heating via radiators and hot water through the taps in your household.
The main distinction between the two is that the oil fired boiler requires a constant oil supply, delivered and stored in a tank. The majority of oil-fired combination boilers have an internal hot water store to supply domestic hot water rather than the immediate heating which is more common for gas boilers.
The popularity of oil fired combi boilers is expected to rise in the UK since they have numerous advantages over other types of heating systems.
- Oil fired boilers are energy efficient and save a lot of energy and fuel by heating water only on demand.
- The running cost of combi boilers (including oil fired) is considerably cheaper than with other types of boilers.
- Oil is a more efficient fuel than gas, so it gives a good return on every unit of energy
- Typically, a new oil-fired boiler will have an efficiency of 92% to 95% compared with 60% to 70% of older systems.
- It is fair to say that oil-fired combi boilers are slightly slower to provide hot water than gas combi boilers, thus more suitable for smaller properties.
- Similarly to the price of gas, oil price continues to steadily rise.
- An combi oil boiler installed in the household requires periodic maintenance in order to guarantee its safety since a problem in any new oil boiler spares can prove fatal and dangerous.
Read more: Combi boiler suppliers
The Cost of Oil Fired Combi Boilers
Oil combination boilers prices normally vary from €1000 to €2800, even though the final price of the boiler depends on the attributes, efficiency, size, quality, environmental standards and compliance. In the boiler system, the oil combination boiler itself is the less expensive feature. The price of a new boiler system includes the cost of features, pipes, call-out fees, maintenance charges and insurance. The cost of standard oil combi boiler models according to various manufacturers and retailers is provided in the following list of figures:
- Eurocal – £1,350 to £1,900
- Warmflow – £1,700 to £1,950
- Grant Vortex – £1,800 to £2,000
- Firebird – £1,850 to £2,150
- Worcester Greenstar – £2,000 to £2,300
There is an additional expenditure on supplying your oil central heating boiler regularly with oil. Almost all UK oil fired heating systems use 28sec oil, which is sometimes known as kerosene. This fuel burns cleaner than heavier oil products such as gas oil, which is also known as 35sec heating oil. The annual oil demand is approximately between 600 and 1750 litres. Oil can be bought separately – costing around £220 and £280 for 500 litres or can be purchased as a part of the service program, which includes the boiler system maintenance.
Are Oil Fired Combi Boilers Good for the Environment?
A modern, high-efficiency oil-fired boiler presents an environmentally conscious alternative, especially for houses that are not connected to the gas main. As with all types of heating systems, regular maintenance will help the boiler burn more efficiently. Also, during the warmer summer and autumn months, most oil boilers work well with solar water heating, which can provide most of your domestic hot water in the daylight hours.
Are you considering oil fired central heating for your home? Do you want to know oil boiler prices? Fill out the contact form on the top of this page and we will provide you with up to 4 quotes from reliable oil combi boilers suppliers. The service is free of charge, with no binding obligations.