How a 5kW Solar System Can Benefit You
Are you aware that you can cut down on your bills and make your home more energy-efficient by installing a 5kW solar panel system? A 5kW solar system is well-suited for larger homes housing 4 or more people, and costs £6,000 - £7,000 on average.
Solar panels in general have experienced a decrease in price over the recent years, as the competition between solar panel installers has increased both on the UK market and worldwide. This is the result of several factors, including solar panel grants and schemes, and the growing number of solar panel manufacturers.
These 5kW solar systems are one of the most common solar systems, as the system's ideal price/power output ratio is incredibly beneficial.
This solar system is eligible for the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) scheme, which rewards homeowners for feeding back surplus solar energy to the grid, making a 5kW solar system an even more attractive investment.
If you are ready to install a 5kW solar system in your home, then GreenMatch can help you in this process. You can get up to 4 free, non-binding quotes by filling in the form above. By comparing quotes and partners, you'll be able to choose the perfect solution for your home.
How Much Does a 5kW Solar Panel System Cost?
Solar panels cost become more expensive as the system size and output increase. There a vast range of price and quality of solar panel systems.
A 5kW solar system in the UK market varies in price from £6,000 to £7,000. The price of a 5kW solar power system installation varies as well, depending on the chosen installer.
This should cost approximately £5,000. The availability of more solar panel installation companies in the UK gives reassurance that there are options for choosing the best 5kW solar system price/quality for installation.
When calculating the total cost of a 5kW solar system, the following factors should be taken into consideration:
- Installation cost by an MCS-certified installer (otherwise you are not eligible for the SEG scheme)
- The system cost
- The maintenance cost (these are low)
- Tariff rates under the SEG scheme
As you can earn money back under the SEG scheme, this will ultimately reduce the overall cost of the 5kW solar system investment.
How Much Can I Earn With a 5kW System?
Under the new Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) scheme, UK homeowners can export surplus energy they have produced from their 5kW solar system installation, and get money for it.
The SEG scheme doesn't dictate the tariff rates the licensed suppliers need to provide to their customers (the homeowners), but on average, you would receive between 5-6p per kWh.
Storage systems are also eligible under the SEG, meaning that you can earn money on energy that you have stored.
Advantages of a 5kW Solar Panel System
Solar panel systems, in general, contain many advantages compared to other sources of energy. Outlined below are several key reasons that make these units more beneficial in buying:
Pros of a 5kW Solar System
- 5kW solar system costs can be paid back within as little as 4 years.
- There is no maintenance or ongoing cost. The cleaning and maintenance of 5kW solar panels can be even automated through the installation of automated cleaners.
- The solar panels are guaranteed to last at least 25 years with an estimated lifespan of 40 years.
- A 5kW solar panel system would add more value to the home it is installed on.
- A 5kW system is enough to make a household independent from the grid, supplying sufficient energy for this to occur.
For more information on solar panels, visit our solar panel guide, where you can read about a variety of different panels and you will have the chance to compare them.
Power Output of a 5kW Solar Panel System
The power produced makes the 5kW unit a sufficient system to meet the needs of a large household in the UK. The system will generate approximately 20 kWh per day and will produce around 4,500 kWh of electricity per year.
The size of a system will determine how many panels you need. A 5kW solar system is made up of 20 solar panels, assuming that the panels have 250 watt capacity. The size of each panel will be approximately 1.6 m x 1 m, so at least 32 m² of roof space is needed to suit the space needs of this system.
Factors Affecting Solar Panel Efficiency
While you can get a rough estimate of the power output of a 5kW solar panel system, you should keep in mind that there are several factors that will inevitably affect the solar panel efficiency. For example:
- The geographic location of the solar panel: this affects the daily solar irradiation and defines the potential output of the system.
- The solar panel must be placed where the most sunlight is in contact with the system. Otherwise, shade can lessen substantially the power output.
- Orientation and tilt angle of the 5kW solar panel array is also important. In the end, it's all about how intense the sun can hit the panels!
- The performance and features of the individual components may also be significant, as not all brands provide the same energy efficiency.
- Keep also an eye on the solar panel, so that it does not get obstructed by foliage, snow or anything else that can interfere with the sunlight exposure.
Find the Best 5kW Solar Panel
Finding the best 5kW solar panel system for your household can be tricky. As stated above, there are a number of differences between 5kW solar panels that are right now on the market.
GreenMatch has got you covered with a compiled list of the best suppliers in the industry. Simply fill in the form at the top of the page and you will get up to 4 quotes. It’s easy, free and implies no further obligation.