Best Boiler Manufacturers and Brands in the UK
When switching to a boiling system, there are several elements that need to be taken into account. Here you can find useful information regarding main boiler producers and types of boilers available on the UK market.
The information provided below is general. Therefore, if you wish to get a customised offer, do not hesitate to request a quote by filling up the questionnaire on the right corner of this page. You will then receive a customised service, providing you with up to 4 different boiler suppliers that best fit your needs.
Before checking the different products offered by the main manufacturers presented above, we suggest you have a look at the guide below. It presents you all the elements you need to consider in order to choose the type of boiler that best suits your needs.
A boiler can be defined as a closed vessel containing water that is heated up by the combustion of fuels, producing the energy necessary to heat a household. The heated water then circulates throughout the house and heats the different rooms via radiators or pipes. There are different types of boilers depending on the nature of the fuel being used during the combustion process.
The main incentives for installing a modern boiler system are:
- Save on your household energy bills: a central boiler system can count for up to 60% of your energy bills. Therefore, switching to a new and more efficient system can considerably reduce your bills.
- A gain in efficiency: a new boiler is considered to be at least 85% efficient and rated A or B on the SEDBUK (Seasonal Efficiency of Domestic Boilers in the UK) rating system. An old boiler, on the contrary, is considered to be G, which means that it is less than 70% efficient. Thus, switching to a new system can considerably increase the performance of your heating system and hence you will benefit from a cosy and warm accommodation.
- Increase heating control: you can nowadays find TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves)-also called room thermostats- among new boiler systems. This tool allows you to set the desired temperature according to your preferences for each specific room of your real estate. When the temperature is reached, the radiator turns off, enabling you to save energy and thus money. For example, in order not to waste energy, you can set a low temperature in areas that you do not use that often.
- Get a quieter home: the new boilers available on the market are way more silent than old ones, due to the improvement of the design and materials used. You can consequently install a boiler close to your bedroom without being annoyed by the noise.
- Save space: the new boiler generation is way smaller than the old ones. Moreover, you can now set them on walls rather than floors. Therefore, you can use the space left by your old boiler for diverse purposes and you are free to choose the location of your new boiler.
According to your needs and your property’s characteristics, several types of boilers are available.They differ mainly depending on the fuel being used during the combustion process: oil, gas (propane), wood, wood pellets.
- Biomass boilers
- Wood pellets boilers
- Combi boilers
- Condensing boilers
- System boilers
- Wood-fired boiler stoves
The size of a boiler depends on the type of appliance you choose to install.
- The combi boiler type is rather small as it does not require a cold water tank, airing cupboard and hot water cylinder. Indeed, those parts are gathered as one unit.
- A system boiler, on the contrary, needs a lot of space and is mostly used for larger homes as it needs two tanks and works on the principle of water stock.
To read more about it, refer to the previous session where all the useful links concerning different types of boilers are presented.
To check the efficiency of a boiler system, you can refer to its SEDBUK ranking (Seasonal Efficiency of Domestic Boilers in the UK).
Boilers efficiency depends mostly on the age and type of boiler that you have at home. Since 2010, only boilers that are at least 88% efficient can be installed in the UK. Nowadays, modern condensing boilers are the most efficient ones and are widely spread in the UK.
We, at Greenmatch.co.uk, want to provide you with the best service you can get. We have created the above summaries of those products offered in the market by the main boilers manufacturers.
However, if you prefer customised assistance, feel free to fill in the quote on the top right of this page. Our team will then contact you and provide you with up to 4 different suppliers that best fit your needs.
- Verify that your supplier is on the gas safe register. This accreditation shows that the gas engineer is reliable and can work safely on gas appliances.
- Turn down the thermostat when you don’t need to heat your accommodation that much. You can save up to 10% on your energy bills.
- Room ventilation. Fresh and healthy air needs to circulate. Therefore, open the windows when the sun is shining on them, and close them when the heater is on.
- Keep a temperature of 18°C in your bedrooms and 21°C in your living room. These are optimal temperatures in order to decrease your energy consumption- you do not need to heat that much your bedroom as you wear pyjamas and use a warm blanket during the winter.
- Do not cover or block radiators. If you do so, the heat won’t spread and you will need to heat even more to reach the desired temperature.
- Block draughts by adding little carpets/tissues on the bottom of the doors. This preserves the air and thus the heat from going away.
- Keep your radiators down or off in the rooms that you do not use regularly. Check condensation and damp, to prevent eventual disasters.