Advantages and Disadvantages of Solar Cells
Solar energy produces power for households and businesses through solar panels, which contain solar cells that harness energy from the sun. To produce power, solar cells require daylight, but even if it's cloudy, you can still use the solar panel system.
In the UK, there is a strong focus on green energy and especially solar cells, which can contribute to lowering CO2 emissions in everyday life, while minimising your electricity bill. More so, if you have excess electricity from your solar panels, you can sell this back to the national grid.
Solar cells are in continuous development, researchers push to discover ways to increase their efficiency even more, through various methods. While present day solar cells present a great deal of advantages for homeowners and businesses that wish to benefit from them, there are also a few disadvantages of solar cells. Below we enumerate the advantages and disadvantages of solar cells.
Advantages of Solar Cells
- Renewable energy - The energy can be used both to generate electricity and heat in the house, either through solar PV or solar thermal. Renewable energy is recovered from the sun, the wind and waves - which in this case is the sun. Solar cells harness the energy from the sun and transform this into usable electricity.
- Economy-friendly energy - Solar cells provide a great opportunity to create savings on your electric bill since you do not pay for the energy that you generate. At the same time you have the opportunity to monetise your photovoltaic system, if you have a solar system with a grid connected installation, you can buy and sell electricity to the collective electricity network. At the same time, you can obtain several solar panel grants and there will be more economic benefits to be gained in the future.
- Environmentally friendly energy - With solar cells occurs almost no pollution. The discharge of waste and pollution is unavoidable in relation to the production of solar cells, the transport of these and when you install them. However, this is a minimal fraction, compared to if one draws its energy from elsewhere.
- Innovative energy - Photovoltaics is a popular topic in green energy and is considered to be a good solution to prevent climate change. Therefore, this is an innovative market under continuous research and development.
- Infinite Energy - When you have the opportunity to extract energy from the sun's rays, this is a source of energy that will never be exhausted, therefore there will always be a source for electricity production.
- Long term energy - PV systems often have a long life and a good durability. At the same time, there is often a guarantee of minimum 20 years on your solar panels, guaranteeing you, should there be any complications.
- Selling energy - If your home has solar cells, it is often easier to sell the property at a higher price.
Disadvantages of Solar Cells
- Interior needs - Not all households that can satisfy their requirements and get the optimum out of their solar cells yet. Solar cells are very sensitive in terms of their location, which means that if there is shade on your lot, it is difficult to exploit solar installation optimally. The solution to this is that you can be connected to the grid and hence can buy energy from others.
- High investment - The installation cost of solar panels are relatively high. However, one must bear in mind that producing energy then, is free. The solution to this drawback is that by most banks provide the opportunity to take an energy lending, which gives a low interest to you as a customer who invests in green energy.
- Seasonal energy - Compared to other types of renewable energy, the solar power plant is highly seasonal, since we can have periods of limited sun in the UK. The solution to this is to grid connect solar installations and purchase energy from the public electricity network during periods where there is less energy to collect. Investing in a solar battery storage system is also a good choice, since it can store the energy generated during peak hours and make it readily available for cloudy and rainy days.
- Solar cells on your accommodation - It might be harder to install solar panels on older households, as they often have different designs that can provide shade. At the same time flat roofs where drifting snow may fall below the racks, becomes too heavy for a roof with solar cells. Therefore it is important that you inquire about these things when you obtain offers.
Get Quotes on Solar Cells
If you have decided to invest in solar cells, but you are not sure which type you would like, we are ready to help you. Fill out the form on this page with your personal preferences and information, and we will provide you with up to four different suppliers of solar cells. You are free to choose the offer that best suits your needs. The service is free, without obligation, and takes only a few minutes.
Fill in the form in just 1 minute