Technological innovations that can change your life.
In the near future scientist will be forced to improve sources of energy to save the environment and reduce dependence on oil and fossil fuels. According to recent researches, our current rate of fossil fuel usage will result in the energy crisis this century. Even if the rate of ongoing development is slow, mainstream awareness and pressure from the governmental organizations are rising. In this scenario, the heat pump can be seen as the remarkable invention and alternative to fossil fuels, that is both efficient and applicable to renewable sources of energy. The source of energy used by the heat pump is sustainable energy from the ground, water, air and waste heat sources.
What Are Heat Pumps?
A Heat pump is a device used to extract heat from one place and transfer it to another. This environmental alternative to fossil fuels produce clean energy and save extra money in your budget. The heat pump is not new technology and it has been used around the world for a couple of decades. In fact, examples of this kind of technology are air conditioners and refrigerators. In general, there are two main types of heat pumps:
Geothermal Heat Pumps
Ground source heat pumps are one of the fastest-growing applications of renewable energy with an annual increase of 10% during the last decade. Its main advantage is that can offer both heating and cooling just by using the relatively constant temperature of the earth. This system will boost efficiency and reduce the operational cost of heating and cooling. Combined with solar power, it can provide even greater energy efficiency.
How Does It Work?
All heat pumps consist of an outdoor unit (condenser) and an indoor unit (an evaporator coil) where a substance named refrigerant carries the heat from one place to another. The working principle of geothermal heat pumps is similar to ordinary heat pumps but instead of using heat from the outside air they use heat from the ground and move it into the house. The main advantage of this working principle is that the underground temperature is constant and cannot be affected by the shift of the seasons. The earth’s constant temperature is what makes this heating pumps one of the most efficient and noiseless cooling and heating techniques available nowadays.
Why Choose Geothermal Heat Pumps?
- Geothermal pumps are budget-friendly. Even if they have high installation costs geothermal pumps can earn you huge savings on your energy costs over the year.
- Geothermal pumps are environment-friendly. They do not emit carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide or any other harmful substance which contribute to air pollution.
- Geothermal heating is independent of external factors. Since the outdoor temperature changes during the change of the seasons, the underground temperature is constant.
- Geothermal heating pumps are durable and quite. This kind of pumps are based on a similar system as refrigerators and these units are quite. Moreover, there are no outright units which may disturb you or your neighbours.
Air Source Heat Pump
Air source heat pump is a system which absorbs warmth from the outside air and transforms it into the heat for the home. The heat generated in this way can be used for different purposes such as heating radiators, underfloor heating systems or to provide hot water. This green solution extracts heat directly from the air which is constantly being renewed naturally. When in high working proficiency, one air source heat pump can deliver up to three times more heat energy then electrical energy it consumes.
How Does It Work?
When heat from the air is absorbed into a fluid which further passes through a compressor where its temperature is increased and transferred to heating units in the house. Although it's often mentioned that air source heat pumps have higher performance and heating capacity in the warmer climate this doesn’t mean that they will not be cost-effective in colder areas. Two main types of air source heat pumps are Air-to-water and Air-to-air pump systems.
Why Choose Air Source Heat Pumps?
- Air source heat pumps are environmentally friendly. In fact, these pumps produce less CO2 than traditional systems. Considering that the main component used for heating is air, this system is based on renewable resources.
- Air source heat pumps require minimal maintenance. Everything you need to do is to keep the outdoor heat exchanger free of leaves and snow.
- Air source pumps are cost-effective. Moreover, you can be eligible for grants and payments.
- Air Source pumps are highly efficient. They can provide you with heating during the winter and cooling during the summer.
Why Should We Think ‘Green’?
One of the main reason why heating pumps are considered as the most promising technologies is that they reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Heat pumps offer an energy-efficient way for heating, cooling and preparation of hot water. Even though the benefits of this technology are well known it has not yet reached public recognition around the world. By implementing heating pumps into our homes we will not just protect the environment, but ensure a healthier and safer future for generations to come.